A Journey of Faith
Healing BalmI have so many thoughts swirling in my mind and in my heart. Here are a few of the headlines that have stuck with me: • Georgia Governor Signs ‘Fetal Heartbeat’ Abortion Law • “Hero” student killed trying to save classmates in Colorado school shooting was...
Missing the MarkWhat is sin? And how does God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit play into sin and evil? These are questions circulating in my mind and heart. I’ve often wondered about sin and evil. People speak of the devil and hell and that just never resonated to me. How can a loving...
Good News?I never thought much about “preaching the good news.” This made sense to me. Of course, the Gospels would be good news. This is what I thought about the Bible as well, that it held wisdom and the love of God in the pages. I’ve also held the Bible in...
What is God Like?Thoughts from reading: How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture, Then and Now by James L. Kugel How the Bible Actually Works by Peter Enns This week’s readings have me pondering, what is God like? What is God? Where is God? How does God interact with humans? I grew...
Reading the BibleI don’t like failing. I also don’t like making a goal and not reaching it. I don’t let this happen often. I will go to great lengths to honor my word and do what I say I’m going to do. And then there is reading the Bible. This has been on my bucket list, my New Year’s...
What Molly is Reading
CLASS: HOW TO READ THE BIBLE
- Peter Enns, How the Bible Actually Works: In Which I Explain How An Ancient, Ambiguous, and Diverse Book Leads Us to Wisdom Rather Than Answers—and Why That’s Great News (HarperOne, 2019) ISBN-13:978-0062686749
- Peter Gomes, The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus: What’s so Good About the Good News? (HarperOne, 2008)
- James Kugel, How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture Then and Now (Free Press, 2008) ISBN-13:978-0743235877
CLASS: INTRODUCTION TO THEOLOGY
- B.A. Gerrish, Christian Faith: Dogmatics in Outline. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox, 2015. ISBN 978-0-664-25698-2.
- James Cone, The Cross and the Lynching Tree. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2011. ISBN 978-1-62698-005-1.
- Anne Joh, Heart of the Cross. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox, 2006. ISBN 978-0-664-23063-0.
CLASS: INTRODUCTION TO THE NEW TESTAMENT
- Pamela Eisenbaum. Paul Was Not A Christian: The Original Message of a Misunderstood Apostle. HarperOne, 2010. ISBN: 978-0061349911.
- Krister Stendahl. Final Account: Paul’s Letter to the Romans. Fortress Press, 1995. ISBN: 978-0800629229.
- Amy-Jill Levine; Marc Z. Brettler. The Jewish Annotated New Testament, Second Edition. Oxford University Press, 2017. ISBN: 978-0-19-046185-0.
- Bart Ehrman. The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings. Oxford, 2015. ISBN: 978-0190203825.